Christ Church Secondary uses technology to prepare students for the 2.4k NAPFA run and to improve their fitness.
Four times a week, 2 alternating classes run 5 laps around the Christ Church Secondary's school campus using the Mangostin technology.
- Students wear an electronic key at their index finger to tap an electronic checkpoint at each lap.
- Times including lap times and total times are automatically recorded.
- Teachers provide feedback on pacing and total time.
A student shows how to tap a checkpoint with the electronic key
Observed key benefits
- Increased student motivation
- Automated timing system. No stopwatch or manual recording
- Instant access to lap times. Increased student awareness of pacing and on the spot feedback
- Easily accessible reports on the portal for teachers and students. Post-lesson feedback and next lesson follow up
A session with a Secondary 2 class
1. Teachers prepared hardware and started the app
2. Students get their assigned key
The electronic keys are numbered from 1 to 45, so that students pick the key matching their school index or registration number.
3. Ready, set, go!
Instant student result
Teachers can also follow the live results on their phones, export the results to a spreadsheet or share a link with the results.
Export to spreadsheet
💪 Increased students' motivation and improved performance
The teachers observe an increase in student motivation using Mangostin versus the traditional stopwatch. By having access to the overall and lap times, students can track their progress over time and make adjustments to their approach (e.g. pacing) based on the feedback provided by teachers. This can lead to increased motivation and a greater sense of achievement as students see their performance improve.
One known limitation: the fastest students may need to slow down to tap the checkpoints. However the benefits of increased motivation, availabilty of lap times and data comparison between sessions overweight this limitation.
One added benefit: if students lose track on their number of laps, they can easily check the count on the laptop.